Elder Joseph Hawkins is a native of Lake Charles, Louisiana. He grew up attending Brownsville Church Of God In Christ, under the leadership of Bishop O.B. Pete, Sr. After graduating high school in 1972 he joined the United States Air Force. He served over twenty-one years, retiring in July 1993. In January 1975 he accepted Christ as Savior at the 15th Street Church Of God In Christ under the leadership of the late Elder George Copprue. He accepted his call into ministry in April 1975 and served under Elder Copprue. His leadership experiences includes:
- District Sunday School Superintendent, Lexington District, Northern Mississippi Jurisdiction (1975-1976)
- Founder/Pastor, Ft. Amador Church Of God In Christ, Republic of Panama (1979-1981)
- District Evangelist, Northwestern District, Colorado Jurisdiction (1984-1987)
- Founder/Pastor Woensdrecht Gospel Service, Woensdrecht, Holland (1987-1988)
- Pastor, Worlington Church Of God In Christ (1989-1990)
- Pastor, Peter’s Rock Temple Church Of God In Christ, Starkville, Mississippi (1995-present)
- Northern Mississippi Jurisdiction Chief Adjutant (1996-present)
- Starkville District #12 Superintendent (1997-2001) (2012-present)
- Jurisdictional Sunday School Superintendent (2001)
- Founder/Pastor, Peter’s Rock Temple Church of God In Christ, Macon, Mississippi (2004)
- Conductor of the International Sunday School Department AIM Convention Morning Glory Service (2002-present)
- International Sunday School Department Region One (La/Ms) Superintendent (2003)
- Founder/Pastor, Peter’s Rock Temple Church of God In Christ, Macon, Mississippi (2004).
Elder Hawkins’ civic accomplishments includes; 1981 Outstanding Young Man of America and Starkville, Mississippi Man of the Year (2000). His military accomplishment includes being awarded the Military Meritorious Award, and numerous Air Force awards. He is married to the late Missionary Gloria Hawkins. They have three children, seven grandchildren, and five great grandchildren.